juli 21, 2011

Sell European Bank Stocks? Part III

Everyone who has followed this blog knows about my long lasting skepticism (4 years now, and I am just waiting for a reason to change my mind) when it comes to bank stocks. For instance, one year ago, August 16th 2010, I wrote the following on this blog in Sell European Bank Stocks?

* August 16th, 2010: “my n-month verdict for the EU banking sector is underperform!”

That was a good call (and actually confirmed by my academic research on banking assets and not only a gut-feeling produced by media digestion) since the FTSE Eurofirst Banks index has underperformed the overall European stock market (FTSE Eurofirst 300) with a whopping 25% since then! The banking index is down more than 20% and the general index is up about 5%


* July 20th, 2011: “the 12-month underperformance of the EU banking sector has been 25%!”

Well, I still have opinions on the EU banking sector and it is mostly negative! I am not as negative as I have been earlier but I believe in a continuing underperformance of the banking sector, nonetheless. Despite the drastic fall in valuation! Caveat emptor, though, this is not based on my research since I have to wait for some data I need to be released but it is more a result of some other more or less obvious facts related to European banks. For instance, banks are clearly becoming more regulated, almost utility-like, and this will affect them more than people think, I believe. Also, ROE will be much lower than before (perhaps halved) and I think this has not been acknowledged enough. And finally, the Euro zone will either collapse or undergo significant stress which is bad for European banks. I think it is inevitable. All of this is quite obvious, I admit, and the issue is just that I estimate that I am more negative than consensus!

I will be back on my research and on whether that confirms my negative outlook. Until then, caveat emptor! And do your own research!!