januari 24, 2011

Google News - the news aggregator! – Part II

Some of you might have seen the news piece about Google suggesting a novel way of constructing an alternative inflation measure using their huge Google database of web shopping data!

------------------------

Now, since I have suggested an alternative way of using Google’s data I find this suggestion particularly intriguing. As I have mentioned in an earlier blog Google News - the news aggregator I wrote the first (as far as I know) academic paper, back in 2008, on the use of news aggregators in finance:

Byström, H., (2009), News Aggregators, Volatility and the Stock Market, Economics Bulletin 29 (4), 2009, pp 2679-2688.

In that paper I discuss how news aggregators can be used in a financial context. Among other things I suggest that Google News could be used to construct an alternative to the widely used “fear indicator”, i.e. the VIX-index.

-------------------------

It seems Google themselves share my optimism about using their web services to measure financial parameters in an efficient way. While my focus was on measuring the amount of fear in the market using one of their web pages their suggestion is to measure the price changes in the economy using products sold over some of their shopping web pages. And just like my measure is an alternative measure, their inflation measure is an alternative measure since the goods bought and sold on their web is different from those included in the traditional CPI measure. Both approaches of course have their pros and cons but personally I like the fact that mortgage payments are excluded from the Google Price Index (GPI).

It seems that Google is stepping up its attempts to conquer the world! I cannot say that I overly like that scenario but considering that I have just switched to Microsoft’s Windows 7 and Office 2010 (involuntarily), and considering how horrible these two Microsoft products are, I can only say one thing: Go Google Go!!